With the proper care and maintenance leather can last forever. Learn how to clean leather couches to keep them looking new. Number one tip for leather maintenance? Cleaning Professionals advises that leather should be kept out of direct sunlight to prevent it from fading. Leather should be treated with home furniture polish once per month to maintain its natural beauty.
Regular maintenance will ensure that your leather lasts for many years after it has been renewed and refreshed. How often should you clean leather couches? Cleaning light-colored leather at least once every six months, and dark-colored leather at least once per year. After you have learned these steps, cleaning leather lounges and couches will be a breeze.
What you’ll need:
- Leather conditioner/cleaner (such Chamberlain’s leather milk)
- Mild dish soap
- Microfiber cloths
- Baking soda
Follow these Steps:
- To get rid of crumbs, vacuum the leather couch. To remove any dirt, dust it if necessary. A leather sofa is easier to clean than an upholstered one. You can remove the couch cushions if you have them. If not, vacuum the undersides. The bottom of recliners can collect dirt.
- Now it’s time to get rid of the stain. Dip a clean cloth into warm water with dish soap and then wring it out until it is damp but not wet. Rub the stain in small circular motions until it is gone. Do not rub the stain back and forth as this can cause more wear and tear on the leather and damage its surface. To absorb grease stains, you can use a dry cloth with a bit of baking soda.
- Don’t forget to dry the sofa! Leather can be weakened by water if it is left alone, so get a dry towel and dry the sofa from top to bottom.
- It’s now time to get to work and use cleaners. Leather cleaners will help remove dirt and stains from leather couches. Some cleaners come with conditioner as well. Spray cleaner onto a cloth rather than directly on furniture to avoid spray marks. Gently wipe the cleaner all over, paying attention to any nooks and crevices. To avoid uneven polish marks, work from the top down.
- Make sure you clean up any cleaner left over after cleaning. Spray or bottle your favorite conditioner and rub a little on a damp cloth. Conditioners are wonderful because they have healthy oils that make furniture smell amazing, look great, and keep it moisturized.
- After you have finished applying the conditioner to the leather, let it dry for at least an hour. This will allow the conditioner to seep into the leather and prevent oil from getting on your clothes. Your leather couch will look just like it was purchased from the store once it is dry.